Pages

Wednesday, 9 August 2017

OPEN THEIR EYES AND EARS LORD!


So last Monday we went to the funeral of one of Chris's workmates. I was lucky to find a seat in the chapel because it was standing room only. He was very well liked...
It was a moving service but I personally only met the man a couple of times, so he was more an acquaintance than a friend. Still it brought a tear to my eye when I saw his pictures on the slideshow that showed some of the life of a man who died of cancer at the early age of 57...
There was no mention of God, in fact at the committal of the body, I was shocked to hear the celebrant intone a blessing of giving him to the elements from which he came: water, fire etc. It smacked of wicca to me... not that he would have believed in any form of religion, even witchcraft...
There was a distinct lack of understanding as people commented on him being "upstairs having one h-ll of a party" and hoping he was having a good time. I tried not to think of him being eternally lost...
Chris, at the wake was talking to a mutual friend and mentioned Christ and the friend replied that he didn't believe in that b-ll s--t which is a real pity as he is facing major heart surgery in a few weeks, of which he told Chris he will be lucky to survive...
I cannot understand why people simply can't see that a loving God created the universe and that He has our best intentions at heart, even in our darkest and most painful times...
What a comfort it would have been to know that the deceased man would be in Heaven and that his grieving wife and children would see him again... and that the sick friend who is facing a possible quick demise would be comforted in the knowledge that alive or dead, he was the LORD'S...
I guess I am idealistic or naive, but wouldn't any thinking person want to place their eternal soul into the hands of a loving God and be certain that they would not perish into the Lake of Fire for eternity, rather than to leave earth unsaved?
For these people have heard of the Gospel or Good News, but have rejected it... and there is no salvation other than through Jesus... and as I sat at the table of the crowded hall where the wake was, I felt a sadness for all those people who were lost...
Somehow, I don't think they would have appreciated this fat old lady standing on a chair announcing that the LORD is coming soon and they should repent... so today, in my quiet time, I pray for them to have open eyes and ears, and to receive the Good News of salvation for themselves... 

© Glenys Robyn Hicks

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:John 25:11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...